Ever wondered about the rules around carrying perfume on a plane in your hand luggage or your checked luggage? This article is for you!
When it comes to travelling with perfume, the regulations can be a little confusing. This article will break down the rules around travelling with perfume in both your hand luggage and your checked-in luggage.
Can you take perfume in hand luggage?
Most airlines allow small quantities of liquid perfume in carry-on luggage. However, there’s a catch.
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and other aviation authorities have established the “3-1-1” rule for carry-on liquids. This means you can carry containers of liquids (including perfume) as long as they are:
- Less than 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) per container
- Placed in a clear, quart-sized, resealable plastic bag
- Limited to one bag per passenger
You have two options when it comes to carrying perfume in your hand luggage:
- Decant your favorite fragrance into a travel-size bottle that adheres to the 3.4-ounce limit
- Purchase perfume sample sets that are under the 3.4-ounce limit. This is also a great way to try different fragrances before you buy a full-sized bottle.
Can you bring perfume on a plane in your checked luggage?
If you can’t part with a larger supply of perfume or want to bring a variety of fragrances, packing them in your checked luggage is an option. Checked baggage allows for more flexibility in carrying liquids, including larger perfume bottles that exceed the 3.4-ounce limit.
However, it’s essential to secure the bottles properly to avoid spillage. To safeguard your precious bottles, follow these easy steps:
- Place the perfume bottle in a sealed, waterproof bag, ensuring no air can escape.
- Wrap the bag in soft clothing or bubble wrap to protect the bottle from any impact.
- Nestle it securely in the centre of your suitcase, cushioned by your clothes, and away from the sides.
Whether it’s a small travel-size bottle in your carry-on or a larger one in your checked luggage, you can travel with your favourite fragrance. Just ensure you follow the TSA’s “3-1-1” rule for carry-ons and secure the bottles properly in your checked luggage to avoid any issues.