Byrek Me Spinaq is a popular Albanian food made with a creamy spinach, feta and ricotta filling which is layered with filo pastry and baked till golden. This spinach pie/ pite makes for a seriously delicious lunch or snack! An Brief Overview of Albania Albania has...
Albania could well be one of Southeastern Europe’s most overlooked destinations. Located along the Adriatic and the Ionian Sea, Albania is home to some of the best beaches in Europe. Alongside the stunning coastline, you’ll find UNESCO World Heritage sites, quaint villages and picturesque mountains. Albanian food is fresh and delicious, centring around locally-grown Mediterranean ingredients.
Quick Facts about Albania
- Capital City: Tirana
- Language: Albanian
- Currency: Albanian lek (ALL)
- Climate: Mediterranean climate
- Best Time to Visit: April-June or September-October
- Fun fact: Albania is home to Europe’s oldest lake, Lake Ohrid. This UNESCO heritage site in one of the world’s ancient lakes.
Overview of Albanian Cuisine
- Culinary influences: Ottoman Empire, Greece, Italy, Turkey
- Common ingredients: Olive oil, citrus fruits, tomato, onion, fish, rice
- National dish of Albania: Tavë kosi, a baked casserole made of lamb, yogurt and rice
Popular Albanian Dishes:
- Fergese– a summer stew made of red peppers, feta, tomato, onions and yogurt
- Qifqi– Rice balls that are filled with spinach and herbs
- Flija– A type of crepe that is brushed with cream and served with sour cream
- Tarator– A Cold soup made of cucumber, garlic, walnut and fennel
- Byrek/ Pite– Albanian pie made with filo pastry that is stuffed with filling such as cheese, spinach or pumpkin
MORE FROM THE BLOG
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.
I am on a mission to discover the BEST destinations & dishes from around the world. In fact, I’ve visited 54 countries and cooked 196 cuisines in this very pursuit. Whether it’s hopping on a plane or into the kitchen, come join the adventure!
If you are planning a trip to Paris and feeling completely overwhelmed by all the city has to offer, fear not. I've compiled the ultimate Paris bucket list- a carefully curated 30 of the most memorable + unique things to do in Paris in 2022! Home to over 44,000...
If you are looking for a spectacular place to go Glamping on the North Island of New Zealand, look no further. These 6 NZ glamping spots each feature luxurious safari tents, idyllic outdoor baths, and jaw-dropping views. With its endless lush countryside, unique...
Visiting Hungary's stunning capital city? Check out my list of 30 unique things to do in Budapest during your visit! The secret is out… There is no European city that has engulfed my heart the way Budapest has. As someone with an insatiable desire for discovering the...