This Käsespätzle recipe is a beloved Austrian vegetarian dish consisting of homemade egg noodles (späetzle) smothered in butter and topped with melted cheese, caramelized onions and fresh herbs. Think mac and cheese elevated to a whole new comforting level. Overview...
When I first arrived into Salzburg's main train station, my heart dropped a little. Just days before, I had expected the station in Vienna to be met with winding cobblestone alleyways, elaborate building facades and the sweet sound of buskers playing their cellos....
Planning on visiting Vienna for the first time? Here are all my best tips in this beginner's guide! Vienna, the capital of Austria, is truly the definition of a cultural hub. It takes just minutes of walking around the city to realize this. From its remarkable...
Austria is a mountainous land-locked country nestled in the heart of south-central Europe. Over 62% of the country is covered by the Alps and 40% is covered by forest, making it a popular destination for nature-lovers. The capital city of Vienna is known for its rich history and musical heritage. Filled with concert halls, beautiful historic buildings and iconic museums, the city was designated as a UNESCO World Heritage site in 2001
Quick Facts about Austria
Capital City: Vienna
Currency: Euro (€)
Climate: Temperate alpine
Best Time to Visit: April- May, September- October
Fun fact: The largest ice cave in the world, extending for 42 kilometres, is found in Werfen, Austria.
Overview of Austrian Cuisine
Culinary influences: Switzerland, Spain, Holland, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Croatia
Common ingredients: Quark, ham, mustard, cream, pickles, chives, bread
National dish of Austria: Tafelspitz (Boiled beef broth)
Traditional Austrian Dishes
- Käsespätzle- This is essentially Austria’s verison of Mac & Cheese. Little handmade egg noodles are covered in cheese (usually Emmenthal or gruyere), then topped with crispy onions and chives.
- Kärntner Kasnudeln– Cheese noodles originating from the region of Carinthia. These are essentially little pasta pockets, similar to ravioli, filled with cheese and potato and drizzled with butter or another sauce.
- Asparagus– Believe it or not, this is one of Austria’s local delights. Come spring, you’ll find green and white asparagus prepared in many creative ways and served across the country.
- AppleStrudel (Apfelstrudel)- This popular Austrian dessert consists of flaky pastry lined with apple filling spiced with cinnamon, sugar and raisins.
- Kaiserschmarrn– Served as dessert or a meal in itself, these are fluffy pancakes that have been shredded and topped with different jams, sweet sauces and caramelized fruit.
- Sachertorte– This cake is an icon of Austrian capital, Vienna. It’s essentially dense, chocolate sponge cake layered with apricot jam and topped with chocolate icing.
MORE FROM THE BLOG
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.
I am on a mission to discover the BEST destinations & dishes from around the world. In fact, I’ve visited 54 countries and cooked 196 cuisines in this very pursuit. Whether it’s hopping on a plane or into the kitchen, come join the adventure!
The ultimate guide to visiting the Catlins in 2022, including the best things to do, where to stay and how to get around the South Island of New Zealand's most overlooked destination. The Catlins is one of New Zealand’s most underrated gems. The region, located in the...
If you are looking for a spectacular place to go Glamping on the North Island of New Zealand, look no further. These 6 NZ glamping spots each feature luxurious safari tents, idyllic outdoor baths, and jaw-dropping views. With its endless lush countryside, unique...
Visiting Hungary's stunning capital city? Check out my list of unique things to do in Budapest during your visit! The secret is out… There is no European city that has engulfed my heart the way Budapest has. As someone with an insatiable desire for discovering the...