This vegetarian Aushak (ashak) recipe features Afghan dumplings that are filled with sauteed leeks & spring onions then topped with garlic yogurt sauce and a hearty vegan lentil walnut mince! If you are new around here, first of all, welcome! Thanks so much for...
Afghanistan is a landlocked country in Southern Asia that is both mountainous and very arid. Due to its position along important trade routes, it has been witness to many military campaigns throughout its history. Sadly, due to this ongoing civil unrest, the country is not safe for visiting tourists.
Quick Facts about Afghanistan
- Capital City: Kabul
- Language: Pashto and Dari
- Currency: Afghanis (AFN)
- Climate: Dry continental climate
- Best Time to Visit: April-May or September-October
- Fun fact:The national game of Afghanistan is buzkashi, a game where two teams have to try catch a goat while riding a horse.
Overview of Afghan Cuisine
- Culinary influences: Persia, India, Mongolia
- Common ingredients: Rice, yogurt, pomegranate, lamb, wheat
- National dish of Afghanistan: Kabuli Pulao, a spiced rice dish
Top Afghan Recipes to Try
- Kadoo– Sauteed pumpkin with tomato sauce and garlic yogurt
- Borani Banjan– Grilled eggplant with tomato sauce and garlic yogurt
- Aushak– Afghan dumplings stuffed with leeks or chives topped with tomato sauce and garlic yogurt
- Afghan Naan Bread– Traditional flatbread served with most meals
- Qabuli Pulao– Spiced pilaf mixed with carrot, dried fruit and nuts (traditionally served with lamb but can be made vegetarian)
MORE FROM THE BLOG
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.
I am on a mission to discover the BEST destinations & dishes from around the world. In fact, I’ve visited 54 countries and cooked 196 cuisines in this very pursuit. Whether it’s hopping on a plane or into the kitchen, come join the adventure!
If you are planning a trip to Paris and feeling completely overwhelmed by all the city has to offer, fear not. I've compiled the ultimate Paris bucket list- a carefully curated 30 of the most memorable + unique things to do in Paris in 2022! Home to over 44,000...
If you are looking for a spectacular place to go Glamping on the North Island of New Zealand, look no further. These 6 NZ glamping spots each feature luxurious safari tents, idyllic outdoor baths, and jaw-dropping views. With its endless lush countryside, unique...
Visiting Hungary's stunning capital city? Check out my list of 30 unique things to do in Budapest during your visit! The secret is out… There is no European city that has engulfed my heart the way Budapest has. As someone with an insatiable desire for discovering the...