This spiced coconut porridge is inspired by Cocada Amarela, a popular pudding recipe from Angola. Shredded coconut is combined with egg yolks, sugar, cinnamon and cloves to make a tasty gluten-free breakfast or snack. Welcome to Angola, the 5th nation in our...
Angola, located in Southwestern Africa, remains a mystery to most tourists. Due to stringent visa policies and ongoing conflict, Angola is closed off to most visitors. Within its borders lies a variety of unique landscapes. This includes an expansive coastline, towering rockfaces, lush national parks and Africa’s second-largest waterfall, along with fascinating remnants of the Portuguese colonization.
Quick Facts about Angola
- Capital City: Luanda
- Language: Portguese
- Currency: Angolan Kwanza (AOA)
- Climate: Dry/ wet climate
- Best time to visit Angola: June to October
- Fun fact about Angola: Angola has one of the youngest populations in the world, with over 70% of Angolan people being under 24.
Overview of Angolan Cuisine
- Culinary influences: Portuguese, Brazilian, Democratic Republic Congo
- Common ingredients in Angolan Cuisine: Beans, rice, pork, chicken, cassava, tomatoes
- National dish of Angola: Moamba de Galinha is a chicken stew made with red palm oil, garlic, okra and hot pepper.
Popular Angolan Foods
- Kizaca- boiled cassava leaves mixed with ground peanuts, stewed to develop a thick, nutty sauce
- Funge– Plain mashed cassava, commonly served on the side of dishes
- Feijão de óleo de palma– Stewed beans in a sauce made from palm oil
- Doce de ginguba– candy similar to peanut brittle
- Cocada amarela– A pudding made from grated coconut, egg yolks, sugar and cinnamon
MORE FROM THE BLOG
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.
I am on a mission to discover the BEST destinations & dishes from around the world. In fact, I’ve visited 54 countries and cooked 196 cuisines in this very pursuit. Whether it’s hopping on a plane or into the kitchen, come join the adventure!
If you are planning a trip to Paris and feeling completely overwhelmed by all the city has to offer, fear not. I've compiled the ultimate Paris bucket list- a carefully curated 30 of the most memorable + unique things to do in Paris in 2022! Home to over 44,000...
If you are looking for a spectacular place to go Glamping on the North Island of New Zealand, look no further. These 6 NZ glamping spots each feature luxurious safari tents, idyllic outdoor baths, and jaw-dropping views. With its endless lush countryside, unique...
Visiting Hungary's stunning capital city? Check out my list of 30 unique things to do in Budapest during your visit! The secret is out… There is no European city that has engulfed my heart the way Budapest has. As someone with an insatiable desire for discovering the...