Do you ever struggle with knowing what to wear and what to pack for a long-haul flight? Follow this guide to ensure next time you board a plane, you’ll be more comfortable and prepared than ever before!
The formula to the perfect outfir for a long-haul flight
Whenever I spot a woman at the airport dressed to the nines, I don’t know whether to envy her glamorous ways or feel a little sorry for her. While my sneakers and country road bag may not be as aesthetic as a pair of Louboutin heels and a Louis Vuitton carry on, but I can’t imagine having a particularly fun time shuffling through the airport or sitting on a long-haul flight in such attire.
When it comes to travel outfits, I feel that there is a happy medium between the ‘i-just-got-out-of-bed’ and the ‘i-just-stepped-off-the-runway’ look. I’m talking travel outfits that are simultaneously casual and effortless chic, clothes that will be comfy in the confines of your aeroplane seat yet still look good once you step off your flight. Without further ado, here are my top suggestions on what to wear on a long-haul flight:
In my determination to unlock the formula to the perfect travel outfit, I’ve taken it to the professionals. If anyone knows how to bring travel and style together, it’s the hybrid fashion/ travel bloggers of the world. It’s time to get inspired- here are some of my favourite jet-setting females rocking their best travel outfits!
TOP TRAVEL OUTFITS
1. Jessica Stein from @TuulaVintage
Jessica is a constant source of inspiration when it comes to combining travel with fashion. Who thought sporting a simple loose blouse, leggings and a pair of patterned flats could look so good? Originally a Sydney girl, she spends half her life on planes and the other half frolicking through beautiful destinations wearing equally beautiful clothing. With that much flight time under her belt, safe to say she’s got this comfy-yet-stylish travel outfit thing down pat.
SHOP THE LOOK:
2. Emma Lucey from @EmmaLucey
Emma is forever on top of the latest everyday fashions. Even in transit, she has mastered the balance of looking great and remaining practical in her travel clothing choices. Take a leaf from her book- layers are key! Even if your final destination is a tropical paradise, the inside of an airplane generally doesn’t come with as much humidity. Packing a few extra layers never goes astray, especially when the air conditioning on your flight is set to arctic blizzard mode.
SHOP THE LOOK:
3. Chiara Ferragni from @ChiaraFerragni
Originally from Italy, the center of fashion, Chiara has become nothing short of a fashion icon on a global scale. When she isn’t walking the catwalk in elaborate frocks from Valentino or Louis Vuitton, she’s rocking the sports luxe look like it’s nobody’s business. You can’t get clothes much more comfortable than sneakers and a sweater on a travel day, and what once may have been considered a little daggy is now conveniently #ontrend. Chiara, teach us your awesome ways.
SHOP THE LOOK:
4. Nicole Warne from @GaryPepperGirl
Nicole takes sophistication to a new level. Her outfits will literally make you swoon, especially when she is prancing around Paris in divine frocks. When you trade the background of the Eiffel Tower for the terminal of an airport, Nicole’s look is a little more pared back- jeans, a basic top, cute pair of flats and a statement scarf. Not only does a scarf add a little flair to any outfit, it’s also a great multi-purpose accessory for a flight (perfect for doubling as a pillow or a blanket if you are flying budget)!
SHOP THE LOOK:
5. Julie Sarinana from @SincerelyJules
Jules absolutely nails a cool, laid-back aesthetic in everything she does- shining through both her fashion sense and her photography. Her travel clothes strike a perfect balance of casual and super cool, and she proves that comfy, stretchy pants that look fashionable exist. Wearing pants made of materials other than restrictive denim are substantially more comfortable for a plane ride (no more excuses to wear jeggings).
SHOP THE LOOK:
TOP CARRY-ON ESSENTIALS
Now you can hopefully master the art knowing what to wear on your next flight, it’s time to figure out what to pack in your carry-on! To help you, below I’ve listed all of the top items that I won’t hop on a plane without:
- HEADPHONES– One of the most important elements to surviving a long plane journey is a quality pair of headphones. These headphones not only sound great, they look great too!
- CAMERA- You never know what delightful view you could to capture out of the plane window! I always bring this camera with me in my carry-on as it’s a lot more portable than my DSLR yet still produces stunning images.
- POWER BANK- Everywhere I go, I bring a power bank with me to charge my electronics on the go. It’s definitely worth getting the 10000mAh version- I normally get 4-5 full charges of my iPhone 7 + off one of these!
- EYEMASK- Essential for getting beauty sleep both on and off the flight. If you are sick of itchy, uncomfortable eye masks, this silk number is the softest, comfiest, prettiest one I’ve come across. It’s a bit of an investment, but if it helps you sleep, it should be worth its weight in gold!
- TRAVEL RECOVERY DRINK- I never normally buy into these types of products, but I tried this travel recovery drink last time I flew long-haul and found that it actually helped with my jet-lag. You can buy tablets that dissolve in water, and the drink basically contains essential nutrients and natural extracts to hydrate you and help combat travel fatigue/ jet-lag.
- NECK PILLOW- Travelling with a neck pillow truly changed my life! I’ve tried many different styles out and have found this neck pillow to be my favourite. It is filled with microbeads as opposed to memory foam, which I personally find a lot more comfortable. It also converts into a square pillow which certainly comes in handy!
- WATCH- I never go anywhere without my favourite marble-faced watch on my wrist!
- TOTE BAG- Finding the right carry-on bag is vital! I personally adore Kate Spade’s range of handbags, and this one is perfect for travelling as it offers lots of zipped compartments and pockets to keep things organised.
- TRAVEL JOURNAL- Particularly essential for flights without entertainment screens, I always carry a pretty travel journal with me for all my mid-flight musings.
- REFRESHING MIST- I first discovered this incredible refreshing rosewater mist in an amenities bag that I got given on a Cathay Pacific flight. It smells delightful and keeps you so refreshed when you are onanairplane!
- TRAVEL MAKEUP KIT- Benefit has always been my go-to brand when it comes to makeup. This fabulous travel makeup kit is filled with all the essentials in mini sizes, so it’s perfect for pre/ post flight touch-ups.
- TRAVEL BOTTLE SET- Ideal for carrying all your liquids onboard, these little travel bottles are TSA and carry-on approved, leak-proof, BPA free and even have little suction cups for sticking to walls.
Whenever I travel, I always use Skyscanner to find the cheapest deals on flights as they compare prices across every airline (so you know you are getting the best deal)! You can download the Skyscanner App on iOS or Android, or use the Skyscanner flight search engine below to see it in action.
Whenever I fly, I always make sure I am covered by travel insurance before I start my trip. Some of the most affordable travel insurance I have come across is by SafetyWing, who allows you to pick your start date, and automatically extends until you cancel unless you choose an end date (which makes it perfect for long-term travellers like me)! Worldwide travel medical coverage starts at $37 per 4 weeks, and you can find out more about it here.
If you travel with a lot of tech gear, then you may want to look into World Nomads.