These stuffed crepes are one of Algeria's most popular street snacks. This mahjouba recipe is made with a jammy filling of tomatoes, caramelized onion, grated carrot and aromatic spices. Welcome to Algeria, Africa's largest nation. With a landmass of over 2 million...
Algeria is Africa’s largest nation. Bordering along the Mediterranean sea, the country’s stunning coastline is home to the vibrant city of Algiers. In the northwest, you’ll find Thamugadi, an ancient Roman city. Further south, you’ll find Algeria’s endless and alluring Sahara desert, with oasis towns, prehistoric rock art and national parks to explore.
Quick Facts about Algeria
- Capital City: Algiers
- Language: Arabic, Amazigh
- Currency: Algerian dinar (DZD)
- Climate: Mediterranean climate
- Best Time to Visit: March or October – November
- Fun fact: With a landmass of over 2 million square kilometres, Algeria is nearly 5 times bigger than Spain.
Overview of Algerian Cuisine
- Culinary influences: Berber, Arabic, Turkish, French
- Common ingredients: Bread, olive oil, herbs, couscous, vegetables
- National dish of Algeria: Couscous. These tiny balls of semolina are often prepared with saffron, raisins and fresh mint and served alongside various dishes.
Popular Algerian Foods
- Bourek – Baked filo pastry commonly filled with eggs, mashed potatoes, parsley, onions, olives
- Moloukhiya– A traditional curry made from a bitter vegetable of the same name
- Dolmas– A term referring to stuffed vegetables, often stuffed with more vegetables or mince
- Mahjouba– A popular street snack of semolina-based crepes stuffed with a caramelized onion and tomato filling
- Lobia– a thick stew often eaten in winter made up of beans, carrots, potatoes
MORE FROM THE BLOG
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.
Hey there, I'm Nicola!
I am on a mission to discover the BEST destinations & dishes from around the world. In fact, I’ve visited 54 countries and cooked 196 cuisines in this very pursuit. Whether it’s hopping on a plane or into the kitchen, come join the adventure!
18 Best Instagram Spots + Views in Porto
From stunning Azulejo tile street art to the best views for sunset- here are 18 hidden gems in Porto that make the ultimate Instagram spots! Located at the end of the Douro River, Porto has got to be the most photogenic city in Portugal. The unique hilly terrain on...
10 Traditional Foods in Paris, France + Where to Try Them
You can't visit Paris without sampling some traditional foods from France! These are the foods you need to try and the best places in Paris to try each dish. It’s no secret that Paris is an incredibly magical destination. Not only is it home to the most famous...
19 Most Instagrammable Cafes in London (2023)
From riverside igloos to retro pastel fit-outs, flower walls to former loos... Here are 19 of the most instagrammable cafes in London in 2023. "Camera eats first." No phrase could be more true when it comes to eating out these days. It's no surprise that more and more...