These stuffed crepes are one of Algeria's most popular street snacks. This mahjouba recipe is made with a jammy filling of tomatoes, caramelized onion, grated carrot and aromatic spices. Welcome to Algeria, Africa's largest nation. With a landmass of over 2 million...
Algeria is Africa’s largest nation. Bordering along the Mediterranean sea, the country’s stunning coastline is home to the vibrant city of Algiers. In the northwest, you’ll find Thamugadi, an ancient Roman city. Further south, you’ll find Algeria’s endless and alluring Sahara desert, with oasis towns, prehistoric rock art and national parks to explore.
Quick Facts about Algeria
- Capital City: Algiers
- Language: Arabic, Amazigh
- Currency: Algerian dinar (DZD)
- Climate: Mediterranean climate
- Best Time to Visit: March or October – November
- Fun fact: With a landmass of over 2 million square kilometres, Algeria is nearly 5 times bigger than Spain.
Overview of Algerian Cuisine
- Culinary influences: Berber, Arabic, Turkish, French
- Common ingredients: Bread, olive oil, herbs, couscous, vegetables
- National dish of Algeria: Couscous. These tiny balls of semolina are often prepared with saffron, raisins and fresh mint and served alongside various dishes.
Popular Algerian Foods
- Bourek – Baked filo pastry commonly filled with eggs, mashed potatoes, parsley, onions, olives
- Moloukhiya– A traditional curry made from a bitter vegetable of the same name
- Dolmas– A term referring to stuffed vegetables, often stuffed with more vegetables or mince
- Mahjouba– A popular street snack of semolina-based crepes stuffed with a caramelized onion and tomato filling
- Lobia– a thick stew often eaten in winter made up of beans, carrots, potatoes
MORE FROM THE BLOG
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.
I am on a mission to discover the BEST destinations & dishes from around the world. In fact, I’ve visited 54 countries and cooked 196 cuisines in this very pursuit. Whether it’s hopping on a plane or into the kitchen, come join the adventure!
If you are planning a trip to Paris and feeling completely overwhelmed by all the city has to offer, fear not. I've compiled the ultimate Paris bucket list- a carefully curated 30 of the most memorable + unique things to do in Paris in 2022! Home to over 44,000...
If you are looking for a spectacular place to go Glamping on the North Island of New Zealand, look no further. These 6 NZ glamping spots each feature luxurious safari tents, idyllic outdoor baths, and jaw-dropping views. With its endless lush countryside, unique...
Visiting Hungary's stunning capital city? Check out my list of 30 unique things to do in Budapest during your visit! The secret is out… There is no European city that has engulfed my heart the way Budapest has. As someone with an insatiable desire for discovering the...